Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Day 26 - Yoga and Aging, Part 1

*updated* I love this quote from Samuel Ullman:

"Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind... Whether sisty or sixteen, there is in every human being's heart the lure of wonder, the unfailing child-like appetite of what's next, and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station; so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the infinite, so long are you young."


I turned 26 three months ago, and the shift from 25 to 26 is pretty subtle, but at times can *feel* pronounced. All of the sudden, 27 seems not that too far off, and 30 is around the corner. I remember being 19 or so and thinking 27 was old, I mean really old. And now I'm within arm's length of it. In college, I had a friend who did Botox, "it's preventative," she said, and I'd laugh at how silly that was. And now I find myself looking in the mirror an extra minute after brushing my teeth at night, examining if there are new lines on my face. (I know, I'm admitting to my own fear and vanity.)

I came across this on Youtube, and was pretty interested in what Gurmukh, who's 58 years old, says about Kundalini Yoga, especially that, "You never have to grow old if you do Kundalini Yoga." IMHO, you can be "old" in age, and be in way better shape, mentally and physically than when you were younger, because you know more about yourself, and self-awareness, to me, is worth trading a couple years of my youth for.


No comments: