Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Day 27 - A Yoga Mentor

Today I got a chance to meet up with Karen Herold, an extraordinary woman.

I was telling my friend Derek that I want to open my own studio someday, and he mentioned that he met this woman in his massage therapy class who's a CFO of a company, is a certified yoga teacher, and is planning on opening her own studio as well, so maybe I can get some advice from her.

A couple emails later, Karen gracefully agreed to meet up with me, and I am so grateful for Derek for having introduced us.

The amazing thing about Karen is not only that she's highly accomplished in her professional career, and has managed to follow her yoga ambitions (she's a Forrest trained teacher, and is opening her own studio in Redmond), but she also has three daughters, and she coaches on their volleyball teams, so she's an awesome mom too. (Oh yeah, did I mention she teaches yoga during lunch @ work?)

Me? I have lucky bamboos that require watering once every six months, and they still die under my care (or lack thereof).

What's different, and super inspiring about Karen is on top of being a yoga teacher, she has a day job. That gives me confidence that I can use the same drive and passion for yoga and maintain that in other areas of my life.

I also realized how cool it is to have a Yoga Mentor, not a Teacher, but someone to gently guide and inspire you.

*update* btw, the web site for her studio is up, check it out: Om Yoga Redmond.

No comments: