Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day 14 - Day of Kama

Kama is the winged Hindu god of love, the son of Lakshmi. Kama means "love, desire" in Sanskrit.

Sutra literally means a rope or thread that holds or weaves things together. Metaphorically sutra refers to an aphorism or a collection of such aphorisms in the form of a manual. (wikipedia).

So Kama Sutra literally means "manual of love" or "manual of desire".

If there were such a thing as a Kama Sutra for relationships, it would be a best seller. I'm not talking about the Kama Sutra. I'm talking about a how-to, step 1, remove from package, do not use blow dryer while showering, type of manual. Not to say that some haven't tried, but for all those books' worth, the divorce rate is climbing faster than they can climb up the New York Times best sellers list.

Today is Valentine's day, and I'm doing yoga. Twice, in fact. It's my manual of love.

By doing yoga I mean, my body is at the studio, and hands and feet are moving, but my mind keeps wandering to what will happen after class, when I get to see my boyfriend.

I do that a lot, not just because today is Valentine's day.

Some days I am more successful at staying present and keeping external things external. Some days it's effortless, I just breathe and follow my gaze, my drishti. Some other days, however, my mind is a cat, and thoughts of my boyfriend is the sunshine. I try to fight it, sure, but no self respecting cat would easily give up that sweet sun-drenched spot.

So instead of struggling with that, I started a new strategy. In class we are often told to think of something to work with and set an intention, so I would think of Love, and us.

I dedicate my practice to a really great relationship with you, I would silently say whenever my boyfriend's face pops in my mind. Then I can focus on the movement, the breath, the asana. He doesn't know it, but yoga helps me learn to love him. In a way, it's the best "Love, an Owner's Manual" I've found.

No comments: